Detox and Cleansing Yoga Poses to Help You Get Fit for the Summer
The go-to resource for planning your detox retreats. Find all you need to know about top destinations and how to rejuvenate.
Discover Detox Retreats now
Our body has its own system of growing, cleansing, and healing.
And while it does a good job at keeping us healthy, sometimes, the build-up of toxins from the pollutants that surround us are too much for our cleansing system to handle on its own.
Have you noticed how sluggish we get over winter? That the muscles take longer to warm up and we feel stiffer, overall. Once the cold months are behind us, all we want to do is get fit for the summer, letting go of the winter’s inactivity.
Being physically active and keeping a healthy diet are two excellent ways to cleanse your body. That’s why a great way to channel out the negative elements from our body, mind, and soul is through detox and yoga.
Here, we share some yoga postures that will help you detox and get fit for summer:
Wide-Legged Forward Fold with Twist
The wide-legged forward twist is an improvised take on the standard standing gesture, designed specifically to facilitate thorough cleansing.
When done correctly, this posture can:
- Strengthen the core.
- Build balance.
- Build stamina in the upper back and shoulders.
The cleverly incorporated slow twist in the forward folding posture gives a positive stretch to the hamstrings, calves, hips, and lower back along with the whole area adjacent to the spine.
Starting your day with this posture will rejuvenate your muscles and keep your heart pumping, resulting in reduced anxiety and depression. The detoxifying richness of this posture lies in the mild to strong detox effect the twist can have on your internal organs, eliminating accumulated toxins from your liver, kidneys, and spleen.
High Lunge Twist Repetitions
Image credit: The Inertia
To accelerate detoxification, add a twist to your regular high lunges.
Here is a step-by-step tutorial on how to achieve this:
- Place your left foot forward.
- Take a deep inhalation and then straighten the legs while lifting your arms high.
- Synchronize this movement with inhalation and on exhale, come back to the high lunge.
- From here, add a twist by reaching your right arm forward and left arm back.
- The closing of every twist should be with a deep inhalation to the center.
- To maximize the effects of this lunge and twist, repeat at least 10- 20 times on each side.
This asana is also known as the crescent warrior twist. It is a great way to stimulate the abdominal organs, thus improving digestion and thorough cleansing. Infused with calculated yogic breathing, this posture will be good for clearing out carbon dioxide from the recesses of the body, such as from the layers of lung tissues. The outcome is better breathing capacity and developed stamina.
Side to Side Chair Twists
Image credit: Parallel Yoga
Chair yoga is a great way to engage your hips and arms.
Here are the steps to effectively achieve this pose!
- Look toward the direction of your knee front, making sure you can see your toes.
- Next, bring your hands together at the center of your chest. Take a deep breath, allowing your spine to lengthen.
- As you exhale, twist either to the left or to the right.
- With your next inhalation, come back to center.
- Repeat the twist on the other side.
- For an effective massaging effect on your internal organs, repeat 5 times on each side.
Twist postures compress the abdomen against your upper thigh, helping in wringing out toxins embedded deep in the recesses of your internal layers. This chair twist will benefit your body as it:
- Promotes healthy blood and oxygen flow
- Improves digestion
- Strengthens immune system
- Balances the body’s hormones
To deepen the calming effect of the twists, we recommend tuning into meditative mood music. Consciously try to blur out all the negative energies in your mind and commit to a positive mantra as you go through the movements.
Practice your detoxifying yoga sessions in the early morning or evening hours. Since you don’t need to detox everyday make this a once-a-month routine of thorough and lengthy indulgence.
Come out sparkling clean inside out and fall in love with the new detoxed you!
Get fit and healthy while you detox your body this summer when you go on a detox and fitness retreat!